Posted in Uncategorized

3 Point Turn

So there are three topics I have to hit in this blog.  The first is IT’S MY 100TH BLOG POSTING!!  So happy 100th episode to me!  I can’t believe that I have already posted 100 times!  I guess posting, like time, flies when you are having fun!  I know I started this blog back when we were still living in our rental house in the city.  A lot has changed, we own our house now, we have 2, count them, TWO pibbles, both my quilter dogs, and my quilting has been steadily getting better over time, as well as about a million other little things that would probably put you to sleep if I named them all, but what is the same is my love of sharing my work and life with the readers out there as well as having a chance to go back and look at the things that I have done over the past few years!  So thanks!  Here’s to 100 more posts!

Onward!

My husband bought me the Go! Baby die cutter, it arrived today.  I have to say, I am super psyched.  I have been coveting it for about a year now, waffling about whether or not I would like/use it.  My husband decided for me, and bought it for me on Monday.  I am so excited to give it a try.  The Go! Baby and cutting mat are here, my first die arrives tomorrow (Thank You Amazon Prime!).

So I promised you three things, two down one to go.

Last night, I finished my Doll Quilt for the May swap.  I have been looking forward to this one for several months, May’s theme was “Let’s Go Modern!”  Since I consider myself a “Traditional Modern” quilter (using traditional techniques to achieve modern looking quilts), this was right in my bag, and not what I get to do to suit the tastes of many of the quilters in this swap.  So, my only guidance was that my swap partner wanted to put the quilt in her new sewing space which she is painting “butter yellow.”  Here’s what I came up with, and then I will be back to tell you how I got there:

Image

I knew I wanted to do a “Modern Sampler” so I first decided on the different techniques I wanted to use (slab, transparency, off center braid, wonky squares).  I found a few quilts I liked and pinned them on a Pinterest Board. Then I went into my stash…  I only had one Fat Quarter that had what I would consider “butter yellow” and it had a large scale print mod vibe to it, so I rand with the colors it.  I picked up the yellow (of course), a blue, a green, the cream in the back ground and a darker shade of grey than existed in the FQ for some contrast.  I planned out the far left section first, something that I could use to show off the print.  I loved the way the dark grey connected and grounded the different squares together.  I did my wonky squares along the top next.  I did a random wonky off-center braid using all of my long strings of left over pieces, and for the right hand side.  I hit up my yellow scrap box for the slab in the center.  I took some hexies on my trip to Chicago, I worked on them in the hotel while my hubby was at his convention, and a little on the train, that became a block when I got home.  I whipped out my (bottom right center) transparency block, and finally got to the wonky triangles in the left center.  I wanted everything to go together a little bit off kilter, and not line up in traditional “block” structure, but still not have any partial seams or anything too crazy like that, so I designed the blocks with that in mind, they went together a little like a puzzle.  Also, when I was putting my transparency blocks with the other 2 in that column, I somehow turned it sideways and cut off an inch, necessitating that dark grey band along the top of that column, I knew I had made it correctly but just didn’t use my brain when I put it together, but I kinda like that line now, it feels like an anchor for your eye to rest for a moment before moving around again.

So it went together thusly:  3 small blocks in the right center column (plus the erroneous grey band) to the left center triangle column.  Then the three wonky squares along the top, then the two side columns.  I know you probably could have figured that out, since you’re a bunch of brainiacs, but I wanted to save you some time and trouble.  I made just about everything big and then trimmed it to size, everything but the left column with the print and the transparency block.  Those were simple enough, I just made them to size.  The back is mostly the solid blue, with a quarter of the original print.  I sillily enough didn’t take a picture of it before I sent it off.

So there you have it, my Mod Squad quilt.  I really hope my partner likes it, because I would have kept it in a heartbeat!

Well, off I Go! baby… 🙂

Advertisements

Author:

40-something quilter who likes to make her own patterns, and has a soft spot for really nostalgic geeky stuff from my childhood!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s