I’ve mentioned that we have had a lot of snow this year, right? I believe I’ve mentioned how difficult it has been to get out, around, or have a nice enough day to take some photos? Well, the day has finally come! I have seen a lot of quilt photos on the snow, so I decided to give it a try, I like the way they came out… Sorta… 🙂 The snow is so high, I couldn’t get above the quilts to show the whole things very well…
Anyway, Asterisk was my among my last finishes of last year, I LOVE it. I had it hoarded in my studio until about a week ago when my hubby and my dogs were hogging the couch quilts and I realized, I love it so much, I should be using it, not have it folded up in a pile in my studio! So here it is:
Here’s a pic of it hanging off the snow so you get an idea of how deep it is around our sidewalk.
The quilt is a great size, it is really wide and not super long, so it covers the feet without a lot of unruly length that has to be dealt with, the back is a single ampersand fabric in two pieces, it is quilted with wavy straight-line quilting about ½ inch apart. The binding is a light grey dandelion fabric, it was part of a different line of fabrics, but I like how it softened up the darks and blended with the beiges. All in all, I think it’s some of my best work, and I love that it came together from start to finish in a couple of days. It was a joy to work on, I might just find myself making another one!
I looked back and I didn’t blog about this one while it was in progress or finished even once. Granted, the whole process was quick (it took me 2 days to make the top and another 2 or 3 days to quilt, but I was shocked to see that I never blogged about it even once! The funny thing about this quilt was I went to get some thread to do the appliqué the day I started it, I got two spools, I ended up going back 3 times to get more thread, because I decided to use that same color for the piecing AND the quilting. I couldn’t believe how much I went through!
The other finish I have been blathering on about and never posted a photo of is Metro. So ladies and gents, here it is:
This one is going to my nephew at the end of the month for his 3rd Birthday. I LOVE it, too. I hope he does as well. I posted before with a photo of the quilting.
The backing is leftover fabric from the front, some of the Lizzy House Constellations fabric I had left over, and a little bit of the ampersand fabric from the back of Asterisk!
Both of these quilts I think are my best to date. I think my piecing and my quilting have turned a corner. I know my piecing went leaps and bounds ahead when I started to use Mary Ellen’s Best Press, and the 505 spray has really helped my quilting. I used it and a few safety pins to baste Metro, I used it solely to baste Asterisk, and I have one pucker in the top… Although since I have been using it, I haven’t even noticed it.
So, those are my proud photos. Hope you enjoy! Now back to work with me!